Saturday, October 8, 2011

Welcome Coach Thompson to Dutch Fork High - New Staff Profile

Science Teacher, Brian Thompson
Can you tell us a little about your background?
The 2011-2012 school year marks my 12th year as a high school science teacher. I have taught just about every science that one could teach in high school and I have done so at a number of schools in both North and South Carolina. I am from the Columbia area. I graduated from Brookland-Cayce HS in 1993 and earned a B.S. in Geology from Elizabeth City State University in 2000. I recently completed my Masters in Sports Management and Administration. I am married to Rebecca Thompson who is the Assistant Principal for Instruction at DFMS and we have three beautiful children: Kayla (10), Natalie (9), and Hayden (5). In addition to teaching science I coach football for the Silver Foxes.

Why did you become a teacher?
I knew that I wanted to become a teacher before I graduated from high school. The opportunity to teach a subject that interests me and coach a sport that I love is amazing. There is nothing more satisfying than witnessing a young person's "AHA" moment. This is especially true when that person has worked hard to accomplish an objective. I am blessed to have influence over the lives of young people and that is something that I take very seriously.

What appealed to you about Dutch Fork High School?
To me, Dutch Fork High School is the total package. I have taught at a number of schools and Dutch Fork stands apart in that it is serious about academics, athletics, and the success of its students. I wanted to become part of a community school where I could help people succeed. One of the most important things about the high school teaching/coaching experience is becoming part of something bigger than myself. I desired to become part of a school where I can become part of the family. Being a strong team member is something that is important to me as well. Dutch fork has a reputation for exemplifying high standards for students and staff and that is an environment that I wanted to become a part of. I am proud to be able to call myself a Silver Fox!

Tell us something interesting about yourself?
Outside of teaching and coaching, I enjoy playing poker. My wife and I once lived in Hawaii. I went on a mission trip to Romania in 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting our blog. Your comments will be posted soon! Help us spread the word and post this link to your Facebook and Twitter accounts.